"No, Ajax, you get a card. This is also known as a warning. Sayonara, suckers."
The Jan Vertonghen train is on its way to White Hart Lane and we have yet another call to get on. The Belgian central defender has already said that he has interest in Tottenham Hotspur and his teammate gave a Spurs move the thumbs up. Now, Vertonghen has just come straight out and said he's going to England.
"I will not prolong my stay," he told vak410.nl. "I hope to move to a beautiful English club - a club where, as with Ajax, I can play for a long time. The atmosphere [in England] is fantastic. I'll certainly miss Ajax and Amsterdam, but I'm planning to hold onto my home in Amsterdam."
Spurs didn't even have to do any bidding and they have already warded off those dirty German, Spanish and Italian invaders. Vertonghen will a Spurs and the following translation of his quote makes this very clear.
- "I will not prolong my stay"- Suck it, Ajax, you can't keep me shackled here any longer.
- "I hope to move to a beautiful English club"- Tottenham is the most beautiful of English clubs, nestled right into North London and without the more unbearable weather of the north of the country so I've already picked out my beauty.
- "a club where, as with Ajax, I can play for a long time"- I am 24 and would would immediately become the young center back on the Spurs team. I would also be the only one capable of both running at a decent pace and pass the ball halfway decently. There would be a place for me to play for a long time.
- "The atmosphere is fantastic"- White Hart Lane is deafening, especially on the Champions League nights that I intend to take part in next season.
- "I'll certainly miss Ajax and Amsterdam, but I'm planning to hold onto my home in Amsterdam"- Okay, maybe telling Ajax to 'suck it' was a little harsh because Amsterdam is cool and I'll be back during the summers, but it's time to kiss me good bye because I look better in white and blue.